Acute Kidney Injury as a Rare Complication of Prallethrin Poisoning (“All-Out”) in a Child
Anjana KS1, Raghunath CN1, *, Arvind C2
Identifiers and Pagination:Year: 2019
Issue: Suppl-1, M6
First Page: 53
Last Page: 55
Publisher Id: TOUNJ-12-53
Article History:Received Date: 11/02/2019
Revision Received Date: 24/05/2019
Acceptance Date: 30/05/2019
Electronic publication date: 31/07/2019
open-access license: This is an open access article distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International Public License (CC-BY 4.0), a copy of which is available at: https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/legalcode. This license permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original author and source are credited.
Pyrethroids are widely used as commercial and domestic insecticides due to their high effectiveness and low toxicity in humans and in medicine for the topical treatment of scabies and head lice. Prallethrin is a structural derivative of naturally occurring pyrethrin and active ingredient in liquid mosquito repellents. Acute human poisoning from exposure or ingestion of pyrethroids is rare because of poor dermal absorption and rapid metabolism with little tissue accumulation. Here we present a case of accidental Prallethrin poisoning(“ALL –OUT”, a liquid mosquito repellent) in a five year old child who had immediate complication as hypovolemic shock with aspiration pneumonia and delayed complications like acute kidney injury, with elevated liver enzymes, requiring renal replacement therapy and had an uneventful recovery.